Saturday, April 01, 2006

- "Didn't you ever wonder where you got your powers?" - "Nope." -



I have a feeling that thing are going to be getting better.

I don't really know why I feel this way...I just do.

EDIT

all right. so I think I have finally pinned down as to why I hate cheerleading.

Since I was in highschool I have harbored this intense fucking hatred towards cheerleading, but I have never been able to quite articulate what it was exactly that I disliked so much; but now I've finally got it.

They strive to be machines.

(now, I would like to say that I do not mean to bash the cheerleaders themselves, I've know a number of them in my day, and usually they are very sweet girls and boys. It's mostly the entity that I dislike)

But to begin with, we have the age old stereotype that all cheerleaders look the same. A cheap shot yes, but really now, more often it's true than not. In action their movements are sharp, angular, and impersonal. They sacrifice passion and intensity for the sake of uniformity. Their 'cheers' are devoid of emotion, concentrating only on being utterly insync with the other team members. (I shant rip on their lifts, because when done well, are, in my opinion, impressive, and I will give them that.)

Now, in any other performance aspect I'd be fine with this. I may not like it, but I doubt I would develop such a crazed opinion about it. But the thing is, they are supposed to cheer their team. Not be cute. Their performance should motivate a crowd to stand and shout, and a team to work run faster and play harder. Most cheerleaders I have seen repeat the same four simple cheers as listlessly as though they were being forced to read Great Expectations.

I'm sorry, but as an crowd member, I don't give two shits about their stupid little rhymes. I want something that I can really get into! I wanna move! Jump up and down and let my team know that I am there for them! They need to HEAR, SEE, and FEEL my presence! When a group of people are REALLY cheering in earnest, there is too much excitement to worry about absolute uniformity. And yes, group cheers can be awesome, but their the best when you're trying to out-do your neighbour, not be just like him! and if you're leading, yes, each of you should lead the cheer in the same way, but I am way more likely to follow someone who is constantly doing everything they can to keep me active and excited about what's going on on the field or court.

Flexing and un-flexing my arms on the downbeats of a monotone chant doesn't generally do it for me.

I just cannot remember every seeing a sincerely excited cheerleader EVER.

I'll save myself from being totally nerdy by not getting into why a good pep band can make or break a good cheering audience.

anywhoo, that was my rank for the day.

peace out.

p.s.
The AWESOME photo above is compliments of the exemplary skill of Mr. Vladimir Kucherov. he's so good.

4 Comments:

Blogger Lovemeugly said...

haahaaa...oohhhh Attache.

yeah, and I think I agree with you on the show choir thing. Like, I remember liking...damn I can't remember their name, but they were awesome but still had an individual look to them.

And like, at least with show choir dancing in general while you strive to be together with your group, you still are constantly pushing the energy and joy in what you are doing. Often I find cheerleaders look plastic.

and you're right. unless you ARE a cheerleader...I don't think anyone cares anymore.

HAH.

6:13 PM  
Blogger Alison said...

The difference between show choir and cheerleading is that show choir is meant to be sat and looked at, and the excitement there does come from precision. I always find myself just STARING at the cheerleaders (we have way good ones here) as if it were a performance, but they don't really inspire me to DO anything.

5:35 PM  
Blogger Brian said...

So apparently you're a big X-Men/Nightcrawler fan, eh? Well, you need to become this geek's best friend. I have an entire summer's worth of shit to share with you...

11:01 PM  
Blogger Lovemeugly said...

brian, if you got the quote from my title, I will poop my pants. I mean, you probably could infer what it was from, but if you could tell me it was from the Dark Pheonix saga...damn.

But yeah, I have really fallen in love it them. And you saying you have things to share with me makes me a little bit giddy because I've been trying to preparem myself for a summer of withdrawl because my supplier will be taking them all back with him to Kenosha *tear*

What do you think of the X-3 trailers?

2:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home